The Nepean Historical Society was formed in March 1965. The then Flinders Shire Council made available to the Society the Mechanics Institute building which was opened as a museum in September 1967.
The Sorrento Museum
The Society established its Museum in the Mechanics’ Institute, Melbourne Road, Sorrento. The building which is classified by the National Trust was built of local limestone in 1876/90. A multi-purpose Heritage Gallery, including multimedia and lecture facilities, was added in 1994.
The Society is incorporated as a non-profit organisation and is operated entirely by volunteers, many with professional expertise. There are no paid staff. Members are encouraged to take an interest in the various activities and tasks required in an active organisation. Membership is currently around 350.